Välkommen :)

Nowadays I use this blog to keep track of my Paraguayan exchange year. Por Favor, don't use the pictures without my permission. Gracias

torsdag 2 augusti 2012

Exploring, listening and learning

Spanish studies
So, I've been here in Paraguay for a fortnight, more or less. It feels as though months has past since my last blog post, time is taking on a different appearance kind of, and I like it.
To say that I enjoy every single moment, well, as everything in life there are ups and downs, but in general, I already like this place alot.
I begin at Heavens Kingdom High the 16th of August, I've been told, and I reckon time will just fly by after that.

Right now and a couple of weeks ahead I'll be going to Fernando de la More, another suburb to Asunción, about 10 minutes with 'el colectivo', for spanish classes.

The busses (El colectivo as they say) are I N S A N E. One bus tour costs you 2.300 Guaranies (approximately 0.50 euro or 3.6 swedish crowns) on an all but clean bus. Twice, I've experienced the bus driving away while I was still on the steps (Which is about as scary as it sounds...). Usually, you can get as many people on the bus as there are seats, plus as many people as there can possibly be standing, and then three or four more. Andd then it's time for the sellers. People run on and of the bus selling things like apples, pears, cookies, candy and soda. Rather amusing.

I really have a sweet hostsister :)
Bought a mug which I want to use here
and then bring home as a souvenir










Last friday was intresting too. As I've described in an earlier post, I've been experiencing some problems with a unconvenient cough (It's still hanging on, but it's better now) which made my hostmother drag me to the hospital in Asunción. There I talked to a doctor, who on the question ¿Hables íngles? answered 'so so'. My sister reckons that was the only English he knew. I agree in the sentiment...

The saturday was spent in Asunción with the spanish class, we saw a couple of famous buildings, but unfortunately everything was told in spanish, so as I understood it, we went close to the congress house, into a house of Independence and into a Pantheon. Unfortunaly I'm the kind of person who clings to history with the same frenecy as someone would  cling to a bar of whitehot iron, but it was nice to see a bit more of Paraguay than San Lorenzo :)
My park...

The last couple of days, I've been able to go out of the house alone to go to a nearby park, where I go running. Everything just feels so much better when I can get out every so often to run, cleares the mind and makes me feel better generally.

I'm also understanding more and more of what people say, though it's much, much easier when they talk VERY slowly. But the feeling when you actually understand what someone says in a language you've studied two weeks... that is very cool...

And one more thing... I witnessed a car accident today, while riding the bus. A small green car went off the road and into a lamppost (one of my biggest fears when I'm driving...), and then it was almost run over by the bus in front of us. Really, really scary, but it didn't look like anyone was hurt.


And the house is growing on me... it may look a little messy, but I really like it =)

Take care, stay safe :)
I do have a bed, but I like the sofa better...
The door to the 'main space'


The other door to the main space and kitchen
Kind of a corridor

The stove with something that looks very good..


The kitchen

1 kommentar:

  1. Hej Rebecka.
    Jenny från AFS Sverige här. Vad bra du skriver och vilka fina bilder du tar. Får vi länka till din blogg från vår hemsida ett tag så att andra som funderar på att åka till ett sydamerikanskt land kan läsa om dina upplevelser i Paraguay? Du kan svara på Facebook eller till jenny.eriksson@afs.org

    Hoppas din hosta försvinner snart.

    SvaraRadera