Välkommen :)

Nowadays I use this blog to keep track of my Paraguayan exchange year. Por Favor, don't use the pictures without my permission. Gracias

söndag 14 oktober 2012

Living in a Macho-culture


I'm nursing a feeble little hope, kind of those dreams you have but know never going to come true. 


I'm wishing that, for the good of man kind, the male population of Paraguay will one day wake up, struck by the realization how extremely disgusting and off-turning the macho-culture is.

Let me reduce this cultural, human weakness to a level that will not occupy too much space and still express exactly what it is that bothers me.

On previous occasions I've expressed the awkwardness it implies being blond here. This is due to this thing in the culture. Walking on the street means 8 of 10 guys, dudes, men and men old enough to be my grandfather scans me top to bottom with their leering, reptile -like gaze. As I've passed, or am just passing, they turn on their immensely, stunningly sexy tone of voice (I hope that irony was perceived) and say things that range from "hello baby" through "barbie" and up to "hey my little whore".


Every.
Damn. 
Time.

I actually lack words to describe exactly how appalling I find this. It makes my skin itch, my inner self cringe and gives me the desire to grab the closest at hand and commit deeds that would have me in prison.
Honestly. Thousands of years of evolution lead to THIS?? 
I mean, most animals do this exactly, and that's not a weird thing. Most animals.
Which is, or should be, a difference between our 'supreme' race and other animals. 

But of course there's an explanation:
In the triple alliance war, the male Paraguayan population was decimated by ~85%, so the men that were left were extremely desired by the women.
They say. This is meant to excuse this repulsive, impolite behavior. It does not!

I do not mean to demean this culture in any sense... Oh wait I do. In this sense I do not respect the culture. Not this aspect. This war is fucking over. If it's something this country does not lack, it's men. 
To use the war as an excuse is just a way to let men keep acting as pigs and moreover, saying that they're right.

Also, there are some women who says that we Europeans overreact to this and that it's just a compliment. It. Is. Not. 
It's a disgusting way of trying to convey the male 'power', to get laid and try to show ownership over the women. And some of them even try to touch you.

 Now, on occasions I consider myself being a fairly self- controlled person, but it takes hell of an effort not to slap someone when they're trying to grab you... 

I don't mean to say that all Paraguayan guys are like this though, I have met really nice guys here as well. Unfortunately it is like compliments vs criticism.
 You'd need about 10 nice per 1 bad, not the reverse..
Completely unrelated, but I dedicated this sunday morning
on trying out watermelon carving. Little rough, but NOT BAD! :)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar